Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I Love a Good Fire

sitting by the fire I built

As Americans we live a very convenient life. If we want something to eat, we can drive our car to restaurant and have someone hand us our food out of the side of the building. If we need light, we can just flip a switch. If it's too hot or too cold...we have a button for that too.

We are extremely fortunate in this country and that's nothing to apologize for. It's not like Shaquille O'Neal has to say sorry because he's bigger and stronger then everybody else in the NBA. It just is what it is...fortunate.

That said, every once in awhile it's fun the "earn it". To do something yourself instead of having someone else do it for you. To not take the easy way out all the time. For me, tonight, that meant building a fire in the fireplace. And no I don't mean lighting a DuraFlame log or turning on the gas. I mean an honest to goodness, wood-burning fire that I built with my own two hands.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I was rubbing two sticks together to make fire, but I did chop the kindling with a hatchet, stack the wood on the grate and light the newspaper. For whatever reason that is incredibly satisfying for me. I guess it makes me feel like a man.

Maybe that's why I do it...to help offset all the times I have to hold my wife's purse at the mall.

No comments:

Post a Comment