Friday, June 18, 2010

The Negro Leagues


Today was the Padres 7th annual salute to the Negro Leagues at PETCO Park, and I got to meet a few of the old-timers down on the field.

Pictured with me from left to right is Neale "California Comet" Henderson of the Kansas City Monarchs, Bob Scott who played for the New York Black Yankees, Sweet Lou Johnson who played with the Monarchs and then later became a World Series hero for LA Dodgers when he hit two homeruns in the 1965 Series, including the series winner in Game Seven, and Bill Greason who pitched for the Birminham Black Barons and made it to the Major Leagues in 1954 with the St. Louis Cardinals.

It's hard for me to comprehend a time when people in this country were not allowed to do certain things or participate in certain events because their skin wasn't the "right" color. Even though I understand that it happened, I will never, ever be able to know what that must have felt like for the gentlemen that I met today.

All I know is that these men helped blaze a trail for everyone of us...black, white, red or yellow...because these gentlemen helped to lead our country out of a dark age. That is why I admire them...not because they were good ballplayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment