Monday, July 5, 2010

The 4th of July...on the 3rd


For some reason that has never been fully explained to me, whenever July 4th falls on a Sunday, the powers that be move the Coronado Independence Day Parade to Saturday. I supposed it has something to do with people going to church or the fact that the post office is closed on Sunday...whatever the reason, the parade was Saturday this year.

The best thing I can say about the 4th of July parade in Coronado is that it is consistent. You're going to see bad guys on horseback, clowns, the military, some marching bands and a boat load of Shriners. There's something comforting in that consistency...there's also something really boring. I have now seen the parade 31 times in my life and am pretty confident I could recite the order of the entrants by heart.

So these days I don't watch the parade as much as I watch what's going on behind the parade. If you want to be entertained watch what's happening on the other side of Orange Ave...that's where the action is these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment