Thursday, July 8, 2010

That's Gonna Leave a Mark


For the most part I have what I like to call, "Good Genes". I rarely ever get sick (just twice since high school), I don't have any allergies, I never needed braces, I don't wear glasses and I seem to heal pretty quickly on my own. Like I said, good genes...but not great.

Unfortunately I also have something that doctors refer to as "freckles", which means I have fair skin. That means the sun doesn't like me very much...or maybe more appropriately...it likes me too much. I have my German-Irish heritage to thank for that, and maybe if I lived in Germany or Ireland it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but I don't. I live in Southern California and I like to be outside...a lot.

For me that means the ever lasting threat of skin cancer. Ahhhh cancer, the gift that keeps on giving. So every 6 months I go to the dermatologist and she zaps my "pre-cancerous" skin cells with liquid nitrogen. It hurts a little, gets a bit red and swollen and then scabs up nice in a couple of days.

All in all, a pretty good look for TV is don't say so myself...but it's better then the alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment