Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween Weekend


You see a lot of things on Halloween, but this year I had a first.

I think most of us have become accustomed to seeing the sexy nurse, flight attendant, army girl, or whatever. I'm not complaining, I'm just saying I've seen it. The novel thing for me this Halloween was seeing the protesters...and seeing what they were protesting.

There was a big Halloween street party downtown this year and as my wife and I walked by the entrance we came across a group of religious protesters chanting and handing out pamphlets. It doesn't surprise me that some people would take exception to the "sexy" outfits that a lot of the girls were wearing at the party. It does surprise me that some people take exception to any costume at all.

I realize that Halloween started as a "Pagan" holiday and that dressing up in costume was believed necessary to ward off evil spirits, but I also understand that it's not the 1500's anymore. It's hard for me to make the connection between a little boy dressed as Prince Charming and celebrating the occult.

Of course I suppose there's a chance that those protesters weren't protesters at all. Maybe they were just an improv group with some really good costumes?

No comments:

Post a Comment