Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Dean of American Sportscasters


My wife Megan used to have a job that got us invited to all kinds of different "it" parties. Though I've never actually had "it", I always enjoyed getting a sneak peek into the world of cool.

The thing about those parties though, is that unless you happen to see another "visitor" at whatever shindig you happen to be attending...it's going to be a long night. It's kind of like visiting someone else's college. It looks really cool and everyone is having a blast, but at the end of the day you don't know any of these people and you end up spending your time in the corner next to the weird guy who doesn't "believe " in deodorant.

Well tonight Megan's old boss invited us to Pacific Magazine's 3-year anniversary party and one of the guests of honor was Cookie "Chainsaw" Randolph...a "visitor". I first met Chainsaw a few years ago at a Padres game, but I feel like I have known him for a lot longer then that after having listened to him on the radio for the past decade.

I have to imagine that's a weird thing for radio personalities, having total strangers feel so connected to you and your life. Chainsaw is the best though, very gracious, very real, and totally personable. I don't think it's a stretch to say I have a man-crush on him.

Oh man...I've said too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment