Monday, February 15, 2010

What is Art?


I know it's a very subjective question, but what is art? Does a corduroy bike qualify? My Mom is an artist so I should probably have an answer to the question, but (and I can totally hear Mom saying this) I think I've already answered it just by the fact that I am writing about it here.

Does a corduroy bike qualify as art? It does if it provokes thought and discussion. Funny thing is, that was the second corduroy bike I saw this weekend in San Francisco. The other one was an aggressive mustard corduroy...think 1978 Padres.

That's another cool thing about SF, there are a lot of artists up there...and not just the corduroy bike kind. Actors, dancers, street performers, painters, tattoo artist, and hair stylists to name a few. I'm not a fan of all of them and I don't understand half the stuff they do, but I respect the idea of creating something.

***Spoiler Alert: I'm about to get profound***

On some level I think we are all artists, everyone of us, because we are all trying to create SOMETHING.

Anything. Even a really comfortable bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment