Sunday, March 21, 2010

Floatopia

floatopia san diego 2010

You tell a bunch of 20-somethings that the Medicare system in the United States is in dire need of reform...no one bats an eye. You tell them there's an alcohol ban at the beach..you get a revolution.

In 2008 San Diego City voters passed a law that effectively made the city's beaches dry. It was a pretty simple rule that basically stated there was no drinking alcohol on the beach at any time. It didn't however make any mention of not being able to drink while being out ON the water in a boat...or a floaty.

By 2009 thousands of people had discovered the loop hole and decided to exploit it with a mass rally of sorts...and giant floating party if you will. The first one was called "intertubepalooza"...now it's called "Floatopia" and it's spread all the way to Santa Barbara.

Today's event in San Diego attracted an estimated 6,000 people to Mission Bay, all in the name of getting drunk and peeing in your bathing suit. Now I'm not old enough yet to say that I don't understand the allure of an event like this. I definitely get it. I am too old though to go traipsing all over town looking for a raft just so that I can drink crappy luke-warm beer in the bay. I'd rather just drive by and take a picture of it. So that's what I did.

As far as I'm concerned though, God bless the little buggers for getting motivated and mobile...now if we could just get that fired up for Health Care reform.

No comments:

Post a Comment