Monday, November 15, 2010

Miracle League


The Miracle League of San Diego is a non-profit organization that gives children with disabilities a chance to play baseball as part of a team in an organized league. Which seems pretty ordinary to you and I, but believe me it is an extraordinary opportunity for the kids that are part of this league. More then anything it is a chance for them to be "just like everybody else" for few hours on a Saturday.

A few years ago, as part of their "Little Padres Park" initiative, the San Diego Padres built the Miracle League a special baseball field for the kids to play on. Ever since then, the Padres and the Miracle League have continued to nurture their relationship.

On Saturday Buddy Black, Heath Bell, Will Venable, Tony Gwynn Jr. and I were all guest pitchers at the Miracle League field. It really took me back to my Little League days...not because of all the kids playing baseball, but because I got lit up on the mound. In one inning of work I gave up a combined total of 28 runs, and I didn't even get an out.

Unfortunately for the Padres, Heath Bell had the exact same line.

No comments:

Post a Comment