Monday, January 16, 2012

Didn't See That Coming



I got a text from my buddy Andre today. It basically said that a few of the Dads were getting together at his place tonight with the kids because the ladies were going out and he wanted to know if I would like to stop by. We had been talking about getting together to watch "Swingers" lately so I said sure.

Here's how I honestly thought the night was going to go. Show up at 6:30, have a bite to eat, put the kids to bed then kick back and enjoy the movie while commenting on how skinny Jon Favreau and Vince Vaughn were.

Boy am I an idiot.

Here's what parents understand that people like me who don't have kids fail to grasp...when you have kids there is no such thing as "plans". Instead you're reduced to a rough outline, or maybe a thumbnail sketch of an idea. I mean we did all get together and there was food there and the movie was playing on the TV, but the night really didn't go down how I envisioned it. Sure we hit all the bullet points on the outline, it's just the details that were a little off.

We still had a great time and shared plenty of laughs, it just had less to do with the movie we were watching and more to do with the craziness of the night.

Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment