Sunday, January 29, 2012

Oscar Buzz



For the second weekend in a row the Gossard's and the Weisbarth's had a hot Saturday on the town. Last week it was Disneyland, this week it was Mexican food and movies.

The comida came from El Zarape on Adams Ave and the cinema came from France...it turns out both were excellent. I had the carna asada torta and we went to see "The Artist", starring Jean Dujardin and Bérénice Bejo. Having been born in the mid-seventies I just missed the golden age of silent films, and in fact had never seen one until Saturday...more then that I had zero desire to see a silent film. I mean just because people used to travel by covered wagon doesn't mean I want to trade in my car for a new pony.

Things of the past are just that...and usually for a reason.  That said, "The Artist" was very good and in my opinion deserves the 10 Oscar nominations that it received. It's funny, it's moving, and it's a great love story...all without any dialogue.

Do I recommend it, yes. Do I recommend Hollywood revisits the silent film era, no thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment