Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Beer Can Races


I don't know exactly how the Beer Can races came to be known by that name, but for as long as I can remember every Wednesday evening during the summer these sail boat races take place all across Southern California. They are casual, low key regatta's where the beer flows like wine and the competition is best described as "friendly". I'm sure that's at least part of how the races got their name.

Today was my first race of the season and while my wife Megan couldn't make it, Andre, Jenny and Cammy were able to join my neighbor Pat and I on his boat. Cammy is out visiting from NYC and actually sailed with us once last year in a beer can race. We came in last that time. This year she was determined to help get us into first place. Turns out that determination and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

But come on, on a day like today finishing first isn't really the goal. It's more about getting out on the water, feeling the cool breeze in your hair and enjoying a beer or two with some quality people, right?

Yeah I'm not buying it either...we suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment