Sunday, August 29, 2010

A New Sherrif in Town


On Friday I sat down with Padres GM Jed Hoyer to talk about the Padres, the season they're having, the moves he has made so far this season, the ones that he still might make and what happened with the draft this year. The interview is supposed to be up on the Channel 4 website, but I just checked and it's not there. If we get our act together and figure out how to get it posted, I'll let you know.

One thing that is not in the interview however is how I feel about Jed...or rather how I feel about the job he's done this year. There is no doubt that former Padres GM Kevin Towers has his finger prints all over this ball club. That the Padres are currently 23 games over .500 has a lot to do with the players that Towers drafted or traded for during the last few years of his tenure with the Padres. Adrain Gonzalez, David Eckstein, Chase Headly, the entire Padres bullpen and most of the starters.

However, you can't over look what Jed has brought to the table. Jon Garland, Yorvit Torrealba, Jerry Hairston Jr. and Ryan Ludwick have absolutely helped this team earn the best record in the National League. With out those pickups it would be a very different season for the home town team.

So, because I didn't get a chance to say it in the interview, I'll say it here...nice job Jed.

No comments:

Post a Comment