Monday, May 17, 2010

Nunu's


One of the great things about the Midwest (especially Chicago) is that there are a ton of little neighborhood bars. You know the kind of place I'm talking about, a bunch of seats at the bar, a handful of booths, a good jute box and a little greasy spoon kitchen. More then likely the bartenders know you by name and anytime you go in there you're guaranteed to see somebody you know. The best part of course is that, because it's a neighborhood bar, you can walk home!

If that sounds good to you then you would love Nunu's. I first discovered it about 10 years ago (when I lived in the neighborhood...shocker) and it quickly became my go-to bar. Cool atmosphere, cheap drinks, and a great place to go if you actually want to talk to the people you're with. That's what prompted my visit this Saturday night.

I hadn't seen my buddy Teevan for a few weeks and with my wife Megan out of town, I decided to meet him at Nunu's for a cocktail or two and a round of catching up. Everything was going fine until Doug the bartender made me a gin martini after the kitchen had already closed. Now I like vodka martini's, but I promise you that was the first and last gin martini I'm ever going to have. It wasn't terrible...I just didn't like it very much, and since the kitchen was done for the night, we had to go on a burrito run just to make things right.

The good news is, it worked...and I still love Nunu's even with the gin.

No comments:

Post a Comment