Saturday, May 1, 2010

Trevor Time


There is no doubt that Tony Gwynn is Mr. Padre...but Trevor Hoffman has got to be a close second. For parts of 16 seasons Hoffy collected 552 of his now 595 saves as a Padre...and he did it with class day in and day out.

One of my proudest moments as a broadcaster came after Trevor set the All-Time saves record on the last home game of the 2006 season. I was the first person who got to interview him that day...and even though I had nothing to do with any of his saves and no one will ever remember that I interviewed him, I will always be tied to that moment in my mind.

At the end of that season, during the playoffs, I got to travel with the team to St. Louis. On the plane ride back from the mid-west I walked to the back of the plane because I wanted to tell Trev home much that moment meant to me. When I did, he couldn't have been more gracious. He told me it was his pleasure to have me there with him asking the questions.

Did he mean it? I have no idea...maybe. The point is he knew that it was a big deal to me so he said what he said. That's why I like him so much...I respect him for a different reason.

I also happened to be in Colorado in 2007 when he gave up 3 runs in the bottom of the 13th inning in game number 163. Probably the worst moment of his career. He could have ducked out or hidden himself in the training room that night, but instead he stood at his locker and answered all of our questions.

A total pro and a stand up guy. It's why even though he wears a different uniform these days, Padres fans everywhere still cheer him

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love and miss Trevor!!!!!
    Great article John!

    ReplyDelete