Monday, May 31, 2010

Opening Day

Sunset at Coronado Yacht Club
There are a lot of opening days for a lot of different things, each with their own unique traditions. Padres opening day, we all wear suits. Del Mar race track opening day, everyone wears hats. At the Coronado Yacht Club, it's all about flying your flags for opening day.

I was out of town this weekend (but then you already knew that) so I didn't get to spend anytime at the yacht club, but I did swing by this evening after jumping in the ocean for a bit. It's kind of hard to tell, but I took this picture to show off all the signal flags being flown at the club.

Traditionally for parades or holiday's (especially opening day), all the signal flags are hoisted from the bow to the top of the mast down to the stern. While all the flags have a specific meaning, and sometimes even a specific place that they should be flown from, the idea for opening day is just to be colorful.

Why exactly the tradition started I don't really know. I guess it's like combing hair...sometimes you just want to look your best when you know people are going to be watching. No harm in that, right?

2 comments: